Be prepared before you leave. If traveling out of the country, find out exactly what your health insurance company will cover. Medicare does not cover hospital or medical costs outside of the United States so you will likely require a supplemental insurance plan or have to pay cash and then seek reimbursement. Contact the nearest US Embassy for a list of physicians and medical facilities that they recommended and trust. The US consulate can also be of assistance if you require the transfer of funds or require repatriation. Give strong consideration to purchasing a global medical transport insurance policy, such as MedJet Assist, that can help a sick family member that requires hospitalization.  There are several companies that offer reasonably priced family plans that can provide significant piece of mind if someone becomes ill outside of the country or more than 150 miles from home.