Aside from sunburns, the most common household causes are scalds, contact with hot surfaces, electrical and chemical burns. Burns are further classified into first, second and third degree based upon the depth and tissue involved in the burn injury. A good rule of thumb is if blisters develop, the burn is a second-degree burn. Seek medical attention if the burn is second or third degree, is larger than 3 inches in diameter or involves the face, hands, joint surfaces, or genitals, especially in children and the elderly. Also seek medical attention if the burn looks like it may be infected (swelling, pus or red streaks nearby) or if the source of the burn is from an electrical plug or wire. The best place to get qualified medical attention for burns is at a certified urgent care like Lakes Urgent Care, your primary care physician, or in hospital emergency department.

Category: Burns